Friday, June 20, 2008

Buckin' the Water Po-Po

Here in Georgia, we are in the middle of a severe drought. It's been that way pretty much since we moved here. It is a big fat pain in the ass. We take water for granted. It's true. But, just like central and eastern North Carolina tend to go overboard on the news coverage for Hurricanes, the same thing has happened here with the drought. Now, it's not that I think they are hyping it (Ok, maybe a little). I drive over Lake Lanier everytime I need to go anywhere and it's obvious we are really low. However, we'll probably get a little rain between now and then, too. I'm all for water conservation and I think most of us could do a better job reducing the amount of water we use. But sometimes, you've just gotta run through the sprinklers!

Here are our latest guidelines for watering: Hand Watering As of April 1, each household, business or other institution/property owner can hand water existing landscaping using one garden hose for 25 minutes a day within the hours of midnight to 10 a.m. on designated days. The hose must be hand held during watering and equipped with a standard spray nozzle that automatically turns off when not hand held.

Now, on to the real point of this blog. My kitchen chairs have been caked in spaghetti/macaroni/yogurt/cereal/oatmeal/banana goo for quite some time now. I hate these chairs. They are almost impossible to clean. So, I told Blair that I was going to power wash them. That freaked him out. He didn't want us getting some hugh water fine...and neither did I. But a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. So, I took those nasty chairs out back today and power-washed them. Yes I did. All nice and sparkling clean. And in about 1/100th of the time it would have taken me to scrub them with Mr. Clean! Now that sad part is, my girls, and one of the neighbor girls thought this was the greatest thing. They got to run through the water spray and get wet. They were so excited. It really is sad that they are not getting to do the slip n slides and run through the sprinklers. They are just constantly being told to "TURN OFF THE WATER!"

So, all in all it was a good day for us. The girls got to play in the water...no matter how sad...and my kitchen chairs got cleaned. Yea!

2 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Well...what can I say? I'm a rule-breaker too.

Sometimes you just have to do what works!

Unknown said...

OUt here in the desert there isn't any water. So water conservation is an ongoing thing! But I completely understand what you're saying.

We washed the car a couple days ago, during "Un-designated" hours and I was constantly looking over my shoulder!

Clean cars and clean chairs are a necessity, I think.

Kellie

PS: Your girls are beautiful, and I love those photos of Florida!