Thursday, July 31, 2008

Summer Trip: Sidetrips

While we were 'stationed' at Blair's parents, we decided to take a few side trips. My college roommate only lives about an hour from them in the village of Hatteras. I got to see her last year too, but I really miss her and wish we were closer. So, I packed up the girls and headed down the beach for lunch and a little visit. It took us 2 hours to get there because it was raining HARD for the first part of the trip...all the way to the Bonner bridge. After hearing all the latest controversy about this bridge, I was a little apprehensive in crossing it...especially in driving rain. Luckily the rain stopped right before we got there. But this is definitely a situation where ignorance is bliss!




Anyway I made it to her house with the use of my handy-dandy gps. The landscape has changed quite a bit since I was down there last, thanks to Hurricane Isabel. We grabbed a little lunch and then headed to the Hatteras light house. Unfortunately, it was thundering so they wouldn't let us go inside, but we did check out the keeper's house that's been set up as a museum. They were just ordinary looking houses, but Rachel had a rather unusual response when we walked in. She immediately pulled back and said "mommy, this is a scary place." I thought that was rather odd and I never did figure out what made her feel that way, but I found it fascinating. The lighthouse really is impressive up close and my girls were fascinated with the other lighthouses we saw along our trip.
When we left there, we headed over to Karla's mother's house. It's a good thing too, because they have moved since the last time I was there. I might just have stopped by the old house for a visit. What a shock that would have been! I loved the new house and it was so good to see her mother again (her father was at work). We had a nice visit, but it was time for us to head back to Southern Shores. It only took a little over an hour to get back.
Next up on the sidetrips was a family trip to Williamsburg. Really it was more of a trip to see our good friends Joe and Maureen, than to see any of the sights. They have 2 ADORABLE children...a 2 year old Joey and a 1 year old (almost) Nikki. We had our 2 dogs and they had one of their puppies with them. What a crowd we were! Luckily the hotel had a pool and that kept us entertained on Saturday. Everyone swam, then everyone napped. After a little pizza for lunch at ........5:00!......we headed for Colonial Williamsburg. I got to shop at my favorite kids store and get the girls some really, really cute fall outfits. Last year I got Rena a frog necklace from here because when we left home there were little frogs EVERYWHERE! She's worn that necklace all year, so this year I got her sisters their own. Rachel got one with a hummingbird on it. She loves birds and chases them all the time. I'm convienced she's going to catch one one day. Riley got a necklace with ballet slippers on them. She's starting ballet soon and she has been dying to go the whole time Rena's been going. I can't wait to see how she does.
Anyway, we just hung around outside in Williamsburg for awhile. The weather was great and there were lots of things to keep the attention of 2 year olds and a 4 year old. Rachel, who's never met a stranger, had a long indepth conversation with someone dressed in colonial attire sitting on the courthouse steps. They talked about the horses pulling the carriages and more importantly, the poop that was left behind. Fascinating. Then she introduced him to her sister Riley. Too funny. I wonder if she will always be that outgoing.
The next day we headed to the outlet mall. I showed great restraint in not buying anything. All the kids clothes are just toooooo cuuuuuteeeee. I can't stand it! But we don't need anything. Arghhh! Then it was time for us to head south and our friends to head north. I hate that we live so far apart because we really love hanging out with them.
And so ended our side trips. I didn't get any pictures in Williamsburg. Bummer. But back to Grandmom's for one more day and then on to my brother's . Stay tuned!

3 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I love the Hatteras lighthouse pics. My dad has a collection of lighthouses and Cape Hatteras has always been one of my favorites. I would love to visit there someday.

I'd also love to visit Williamsburg. John took a trip there with a group from our church when I was pregnant with our second child. I'm still a little bitter about that.

Funny about the poop conversation. Why is that always so intriguing for kids?

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Wow, what a lovely time! Color me green.

Cynthia said...

Love the lighthouse pic!