Saturday, May 09, 2009

Trike-a-thon and the IRS






Ok, those two don't really have anything to do with each other. But I'll get to both.



Our preschool does a fund-raiser called a Trike-a-Thon. How cute is that? The parents bring the tricycles and bikes to school and the kids ride them around in a circle until they get bored and then they go get their faces painted


and then jump in a bouncy.


Ok, I probably shouldn't be the one writing the advertisement for the event, but it is really fun...and funny to watch. The day of Rachel and Riley's event, I was one of the volunteers. We said GO and they all started off. 2 little boys (also twins) headed straight...to the road! Everyone else made the turn and were furiously pedaling in a circle, but these two! They were on a mission. Volunteers and teachers alike took off running after them and finally caught them at what I can only imagine that they thought was the finish line! Too funny.




These kids take if very seriously. They ride with a mission. It's really interesting to me to see the difference in the ability level of these kids. Some are naturals, zooming around and weaving in and out of the less confident. Some seem like they have never been on a bike before. I must admit, that made me a little sad for them. My girls are out on their bikes almost every day. And Rena's been riding a two-wheeler for about a year. Some of these 4 and 5 year olds were just not very coordinated. Come on parents! Get your kids OUTSIDE!




It was interesting to watch my own kids too. In keeping with their personalities, Riley rode very carefully and deliberately.


Rachel rode with complete abandon. She also waved at me each time she passed!

And Rena did what was expected...rode in a circle and didn't interfer with anyone else.


Rachel and Riley got to watch Rena's race because they weren't in school that day. It's so nice that they support each other.






I'm glad that the twins have 2 more years here. Such a great preschool. I love it and so do they!


Now, on to the IRS. Thanks to the crappy economy, we are getting a big fat refund this year. The lion's share is coming from the federal government. I'm really looking forward to getting this return, because it will allow me to plan out the rest of this year financially. But of course, there was a glitch. Somehow we got Rena's social security number wrong on the form. I called and fixed that over the phone and was told I could expect my return within 30 days. Yippie! So, a week or so later, there's an envelop waiting for me in the mailbox from the IRS. Silly me thinks it's the return. Nope. It's a bill for $67,000+ dollars. Not kidding. According to them, we failed to pay and/or file in 2006. What?! How come Kroger can keep up with what I buy sporatically at their store and send me coupons to match, but the IRS can't keep up with my 2006 taxes that were filed and were paid. Good googley-moogley. Not only that, but they're keeping my 2008 return. Oh, they GOT that one. Idiots. Now I know it's some minor thing. Maybe they filed it under N not M, or got OUR ss# off by a digit...but seriously people, I don't remember much about 2006. I had two 1year olds and a 3 year old. Taxes schmaxes.


So, I started digging though my well-maintained records...ok, they're really just all stuffed in a really big purple box. And lo and behold, I found a cancelled check to the IRS for 2006 taxes. Now we do have a little problem because our taxes were done on my computer which just so happened to get a really nasty virus this winter. So I took my computer to the local high school computer teacher where he used it as an example of what not to do. He had to take EVERTHING off my computer. And despite the fact that I told him the only important things on it were pictures and quicken, he saved everything. I love you Mr. Decker!!!! So once we download the software...again...and open the tax return, we should be able to get this thing resolved. But what a pain in the ass. Seriously, I think I'm the only one who's not stressing about it. I'm just pissed that the government can do things like this. It's THEIR fault, not mine. And trying to talk to someone about it IS frustrating. I know they have it and they won't even look. Arghh. Ok, maybe I'm a little frustrated. Anyway, I'll keep you posted...or blog from the pauper's jail!


I will leave you with this lovely sign of spring.




























4 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I think that Trike-a-thon is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen! Looks like your girls had fun!

Oh yuck. The IRS stuff scares me. John refuses to do our taxes because he's afraid we'll get audited. He's happy to hand everything off to the CPA. I can't imagine living such a nightmare.

Are you going to get your refund???? I'd be fighting for that money if it were me.

rachel... said...

Adorable! The differences is bicycle skill level amaze me, too. My son's been riding a 2 wheeler without training wheels since he barely 3. My oldest daughter had finally taken her training wheels off at age 7!

We have our "bike day" at pre-school next week!

Good luck with that refund! What a pain, but worth it! I know we've come to rely on ours every year!

Aliceson said...

Congrats to Lena on the 2 wheeler. My girls have no intentions of removing the training wheels. I guess we'll keep practicing.

I gave you and your dogs an award over at my blog, come and check it out when you get a chance.

Funnyrunner said...

HI! Visiting your blog from Feet off the Table, where we both got the "lovely" award. :) Cute girls. And I LOVE Veronica by Elvis Costello! sorry about the computer virus. I had that happen to me this year, too, but luckily my info remained intact...

take care!