Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Busy, Busy, Busy

That has become the story of my life. How can one 'non-working' person be so freaking busy. Right now, all of my children are avoiding me. That is very good for them. The youngest has just pissed me off completely and I truly don't think I have been this mad at any of them, much less just one.

What happened? you ask.

Well, the elementary school had and Art night, followed by a brief PTA meeting, followed by a performance from the Chorus. All of that went great.

Then, I got up to go speak to the Principal. Rachel proceeded to pull napkins out of the dispenser and throw them at her sister. Then she mounted the stage and refused to leave. I managed to get her out of the building - literally kicking and screaming - only to have her dart back into the building, disappearing into the CROWD. Rena and Riley found her on the stage, yet again, where she was given a good old fashioned swat on the ass for her behavior. That's right, ladies and gentlemen, I gave my 4 year old a good ass-popping on the stage of the elementary school in front of, God only knows who was watching. By this point I had tunnel vision. I also had Rachel's attention for a brief moment. THEN she and her 2 sisters ran back out into the parking lot, across the street and to the car. I was still in the lunchroom. By this point, my embarrassment had turned to pure anger...an emotion I rarely feel. As I walked out of the building, into the crowd of people leaving the school, they crossed BACK across the street and headed toward me.

There was no talking on the 5 minute drive home. Once here, Rachel got a true ass-whooping. And was sent to bed. I'm still mad.

All of this madness while I am trying to speak to the Principal of the school and the PTA president, and the few parents that I know. I am mortified. Also an emotion I rarely feel.

I feel slightly better just getting this off my chest. What I'd really like, is the ability to carry on an adult conversation without constantly being on guard for a misbehaving child. Oh to be able to complete a sentence (I said put that back and get up off the floor) without having to insert an instructional sentence in the middle. People probably think I'm crazy.

4 comments:

rachel... said...

Oh man, I'm sorry you had such a bad night! Is it any cosolation to know that we've ALL been there?Misbehavior seems 1000 times worse when it's in public because of the embarrassment and the feelings of judgment and (for me anyway) because I must react in a more calm and collected manner than I normally would in the privacy of my own home (ie no ass-whooping or screaming at the top of my lungs!). Sometimes parenting is just plain hard. But I bet nobody there (who ever had kids of their own, anyway) thinks you're crazy.

Put all the kids to bed and spend the rest of the evening relaxing! Tomorrow will be better!

Aliceson said...

Not crazy, just a mom. My kids rarely act up in public but they do pull this kind of crap when I'm trying to have a phone conversation. Yelling, fighting with eachother... By the time I finally have to tell the person I'm talking to that I'll have to call them back, I feel like I want to put my fist through the wall.

I hope venting about it made you feel a little better.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I hate that for you. Because I've been there and I understand how frustrating it can be. UGH.

I promise that one day you can actually have a conversation without being interrupted. Hang in there!

Diana said...

William has done this to me on so many occasions I can't even keep track. It's absolutely horrible, but I'm kind of glad to hear that he's not the only one who pulls this kind of crap. Parker on the other hand, is golden in public (if William isn't around) How can they be sooo different?
This behavior will end someday. I ask William all the time when he'll stop pulling that mess and he looks at me like I've got worms coming out of my head. I guess it will end sometime?