Sunday, January 06, 2008

Jack Hanna, she's not


Jack Hanna was on Larry King live last night. I LOVE Jack Hanna. I say it, just like that, everytime I see him or hear his name. It's like some Pavlovian response. I just can't help it. Even my husband knows I LOVE Jack Hanna. I find it endearing that he seems to be a little scared of animals (Jack, not my husband). How funny is that? He obviously loves and respects the animals and has a need to share this love with others.

I too, love animals, but limit my experience to the domestic kind. I don't feel the need to socialize with animals that can and will eat me. I'm teaching my children to love and respect animals too. All three of them have a great command of dogs and even led my in-laws dog/pony around at will over Christmas. Come! Sit! Stay! They have those down pat.

Now, if you know anything about animals, you know that you can't treat a cat the way you treat a dog. They will not stand for it. They would eat you if they could. And even the fiesty little ones give it a try sometimes. Rachel is learning this the hard way. I would like to say she learns from her mistakes with our cat, but that would not be true. She has pulled his tail and bent his head back in a exorcist pose. Even though he defended himself, he didn't go all psyco on her...until tonight. I don't know what her offense was, but she came in with a big cat scratch across her forehead. Her feelings are always as hurt by these event as her skin. She just doesn't get it yet. Poor thing.

Unfortunately, I don't think Boomer will be in a forgiving spirit anytime soon. He is on guard around her and with good reason. Maybe one day, she'll grow up to be the next Jack Hanna, but for now, she's not.

1 comment:

Marti said...

Guess Booner is going to be hiding!