Friday, December 12, 2008

Thanksgiving and beyond


This Thanksgiving, we stayed home. Usually we go to Biltmore and I really missed going this year. Nobody came to be with us either. So, we celebrated Thankgiving with just our family. It kinda took all the fun out of it, but it also took ALL the pressure off. I still cooked a big meal and we ate in the formal dining room, which completely baffled the girls.
I dyed some pasta and had the girls make Native American necklaces.

They had a great time and it turns out that Blair is pretty good at it too! He and Rena had some bonding time over their beading.


The day after Thanksgiving we did head to the mountains of North Carolina to cut a Christmas tree.


It was a brief, overnight trip to Dillsboro and then cut our tree in Waynesville.

It was nice to get away, if only for the night. And it was beautiful! The girls had fun running from tree to tree trying to decide which one would be ours.
After we finally decided, we got to watch them cut it for us.

How exciting.

This place was really beautiful and next year, I'll know that I should have the girls ready for a Christmas picture.


This year, well, I'm just behind.

After that, my Father and Brother came to visit. I was really excited to have them here. My brother only came when we moved in 3 years ago. My father's been here a couple of times. We had a great time together and their visit was over too soon. The first night, my brother and I stayed up well past midnight drinking wine and talking and laughing. I'm still behind because of it! My brother spent most of his time in my kitchen. It was great! However, cleaning in this house is futile.
My dad and I got to spend some time together too. It's always so easy being with them.
And fun. My family is just funny. My Dad and brother were both confused by the Pampered Chef can opener. After I showed them how to open a can with it, my father was determined to figure out HOW it worked. I'd like to know that too.

The girls had fun too.
Grandaddy read to them...
and they helped him put together a play kitchen for the playhouse outside.
I loved hearing him telling them how to build it. Rena and Riley were interested.
Rachel just wanted to watch tv. All the excitement was too much for Rena and even though she didn't want to go to bed, the Sandman found her anyway, right in mid-sentence.

Now, the downhill to Christmas!

1 comment:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Okay...two funny things...

That first picture of you with the girls made me laugh because your scarf looks like long, thick braids. I did a double take.

And that is SO funny about your dad and the PC can opener. I have one too, and once, my inlaws were visiting and decided to make pumpkin bread while I was out running errands. They opened all 3 cans of pumpkin in my pantry but still couldn't figure out "how to work it". (they were opened, but they didn't know it).

Hope you're doing well!

Your girls are so beautiful!