Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Sticking together

This week all of my children have been sick. Rena and Riley both have ear infections and Rachel has a cold. Thursday, Riley stayed with me while Rachel and Rena went to school. Honestly, at the time, I didn't think twice about Rachel going to school without Riley. I was swamped at the time, and still unsure whether Riley was going to go or not even in the drop off line. Then this Tuesday, they all piled out for their last day before Thanksgiving. I headed off for a little 'me' time and to get some things done. Well, about 11:45 I get a call from the Preschool. Slight panic. Don't we all panic when we see that school number show up in the caller ID? It was the twins' teacher. Nobody sick, she said, but Rachel was asleep. She had fallen asleep while they were having indoor recess. What did I want her to do? Let her sleep I said. No problem. This child can sleep anywhere, and I've learned the hard way, it's best to just let her sleep!



So I went to pick them all up a little early and the teacher told me that it was a good thing that it was Rachel that went to sleep and not Riley because Rachel is lost without Riley. WHAT? Are you sure? Rachel is Little Miss Independant. Rachel the Brave! Riley is Little Miss Clingon! Are you sure. Yeah, she say. Riley's fine without Rachel around. I peeked in the classroom and sure enough she looked happy as a clam. Never in a million years would I have thought it was that way. I was sure Riley was more dependant on Rachel then the other way around. Just goes to show what we parents know.

My girls are close. They play well together and get along pretty well most of the time. Oh, they have their fights like all siblings do, but boy are they willing to defend each other. Take last night for example.

Blair was home, so we were all seated for dinner. Riley was playing and not really interested in eating. Blair had told her a number of times to sit down or she was done. Well, he finally took her plate and put it in the sink. This caused her to dissolve into tears and run from the room (oh, yeah, the teenage years are going to be grand!) and for her sister to jump to her defense. "Da-day! Yook what you did! You made Wiley cwy!"
(Rena tries to recreat the look for me, but now she just thinks her daddy's funny.)
Rena AND Rachel both jumped on him.
Poor Daddy. So outnumbered!

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Daddy is outnumbered!
I hope everyone feel better:)

cj said...

This is great.
Dad