Sunday, May 06, 2007

Screaming Nekkid Toddler Tantrum

Blair met us on the beach about 20 minutes before we were going to head in. We had already been there about 5 hours and I was ready for a shower. So, we stayed even longer and no one was complaining. We finally packed up the pack n play, the beach blankets, the chair, the sand toys, the dog and all food paraphernalia and headed for the outdoor shower by the pool. While we washed everyone off, including the dog, a little girl started talking to Rena and wanted her to come play in the pool. I told Blair it might be good for Rena to hang out with her since the little girl was older and could swim. So, Blair and Rena got in the pool. I was going to take the twins and the dog to the room and start real showers so we could go to dinner. For some reason I don't remember right now, I decided to let the girls get in the pool too. They didn't have their bathing suits on, just diapers. And the dog wasn't supposed to be on the pool deck. But we got in anyway and Max was on his best behavior. Rachel and Riley were loving being in the pool, but since I was their life jacket, I was beginning to lose interest. After a few minutes, I decided to go ahead and take Rachel and Riley and the dog upstairs. There were a couple of problems with this. First of all, I didn't have anymore diapers for the girls and I didn't have any clothes for them either. At this point, their diapers weighed more than they did, so they had to come off. Now I have 2 naked babies,one towel and a dog. Oh, he's not very good on the leash. So, I try to wrap the one towel around the 2 naked babies and hold the dog leash while carrying both children. This MIGHT have worked. But Riley didn't want to leave. She goes into the passive-aggressive, limp baby position, making it almost impossible to hold her, much less cover her and her sister with one towel. And the dog is systematically wrapping himself around my legs. Swiftness is my only chance. I finally get from the pool to the door to the hotel (gently knocking people out of my way) only to find that my key doesn't work. All the while, Riley is wailing "No, no, no, no, no!" I make my way back to the pool to call for help from Blair. He brings Rena and they go to the lobby for a new key, while I wrestle with 2 naked babies in one towel while still being wrapped in a leash by the dog. Finally, Blair and Rena return with a working key and some very nice ladies help us by holding the 2 doors between me and the elevator. Then they wisely chose to dissappear before people assumed they were with me. Once in the elevator, I gave up on the towel and let the naked babies rule. I'm just glad no one saw us in the hall. Riley's wails of NO continued until about 3 seconds before Blair and Rena showed up. Ah, peace.

6 comments:

Junshi said...

hey you must be pretty hard working!! have a gr8 life..

Xx Junshi xX

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you just have to throw the towel in! Anyone with kids has gotten themselves in similiar situations at some time. They are the ones you laugh at later

Marti said...

Sounds like fun! I am so glad my nieces inherited the Middleton stubborn genes. :-)

Amber said...

Oh my word, I have been there so many times! I cringed through your whole story because it rings so true. We head to the beach a lot in the summer because my husband has to attend a lot of conferences that just so happen to be located on the beach...shucks, huh? I often wrangle both of my girls all day long by myself to the beach and then the pool and then the hotel room, etc.

And it cracked me up that you put "nekkid" in your title...that is exactly how I say it! :)

Amber said...

Oh, oh, oh...I forgot! We are going to be at the beach in St. Augustine tomorrow. :) HA! Talk about timing! hehe. We live in Gainesville, so St. Augustine is the beach we often visit. Hope you enjoyed your visit there. The pictures are so cute.

Anonymous said...

That is beyond hysterical - I could picture the whole thing!