Monday, March 24, 2008

So, it's 4:40am. Blair is in the shower and I'm drifting in and out of sleep. It's not unusual for him to be up so early getting ready for work. Rena has come to join Riley and me in bed. She's cold and she wants to sleep beside me, so she wedges in between Riley and me. I drift back to sleep and then awaken again. Blair is still in the shower. Now it's just irritating me. "Turn the water off" I want to yell. "I can't sleep!" Finally, the water is turned off and the strange, familiar sounds of drawers opening and closing comes from the bathroom. Riley stirs in her sleep, realizes she has come out of physical contact with me, and leapfrogs her sister to be beside me once again. I consider leapfrogging both of them to Blair's side of the bed, that is invitingly empty. Instead, I push Rena into that spot and then push Riley up against her. Ah, I stretch out and then curl back up against the cold. Blair has gone downstairs with his suitcase and computer case in tow. However, he's left the dogs. Nixie is stirring. She wants to go. It doesn't matter where. I hear the garage door open and Blair's truck roars to life. Crap. Now I'm going to have to get up and let the dogs out. But no, Blair returns, and 'quietly' calls Nixie, who willingly thumps down the stairs to the freedom of the backyard. Within minutes, she's back, as is Blair. He gathers up the rest of his stuff and stealthily kisses his girls goodbye.

The house is quiet once again. The girls breath in deep regular breaths beside me. Rachel has made no sound from her room. Sleep is good. It's 5:00ish. Am I really going back to sleep? Probably not. Oh well. At least I'll get a few moment to myself. I go in search of my computer. The girls were using it last night. It should be right beside them. It's not. Where is it! What would Blair have done with it. I'm trying desperately to search quietly for my computer, while the dogs lazily circle my legs wondering where I'll go ,and not wanting to be left behind. I finally turn on a light briefly and discover it on my dresser. Not where I would have expected it. Ok, I've got the computer. The girls are still asleep. The dogs are all moving in the same direction. The coffee pot is clean and waiting in the dishwasher for me. It's getting better. I go downstairs, make coffee and plug in the computer. Before coffee is even finished brewing I heard Rachel "Mommy, where are you?" Now, don't get me wrong. I love this child with all my heart. But are you FREAKING KIDDING ME! It's 5:40. Once she discovers my location, she slides backwards down the stairs to join me. And she's chatty. Luckily, she's also a TV head, so after a few minutes I send her off to watch Clifford with a sippy cup of milk. Peace at last. I start this post, to get my frustrations out about never getting a minute to myself, when all of a sudden, my computer screen goes black. What the f%$@! It takes me a minute to discover that our loverly Nixie has chewed throught the power cord...again. Damn dog! So, off to Dell.com I go. I order 2 power cords. They should be here by Friday. Back to the post. Rachel comes to me. She's wet the bed. Hmmm? How could that happen. She has on a diaper. Her pajamas aren't wet. Maybe she just means she's wet. I change her. Off to Grandma's room (grandmom doesn't actually live here, she just has a room named in her honor) and, yes the bed is a little wet! Still not sure how that happened, and really, I don't want to know. I strip the bed. Back to my, huh, hum, peaceful few minutes at the computer. I'm exhausted already! And it's not even 7:00 yet. I'm wondering if the marines REALLY do more than me by this time!

So, how do you start YOUR day?

1 comment:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Ooooh, 5:40 is early to have a little one join you!

My husband stirs his morning coffee with a plastic measuring spoon so as not to clink it on the mug and wake us up. And not that he's so much concerned about letting us sleep as he is getting his morning alone time!

I usually start my day about 6:30...get up (no more kids in my bed these days), check email, start breakfast and start making lunches. But this week is spring break and I'm enjoying a much slower pace! Hooray!