Saturday, November 25, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

I have a lot to be thankful for. Probably the biggest thing I'm thankful for is being able to stay at home with my children. It is quite the luxury and one I often taken for granted. Trust me though, getting here wasn't easy. I have worked my butt off in the past and I am thankful I don't have to do it now. At least not in the same way. I am thankful that I have 3 girls. Getting them wasn't easy either. And I am thankful for my husband. He is loving, supportive and thoughtful...things I haven't always made time for recently. I'm thankful for my friends and family also.
For Thanksgiving this year, we decided to spend it in Asheville, NC. It sure was nice to be back in the Carolinas. I just feel better in North Carolina. Home. We spent a couple of beautiful days at the Biltmore House...speaking of beautiful. If you've never been, you really should go. We just kind of hung out there and enjoyed the weather, the shopping and the dining. Nothing fancy. The girls had a good time and we even got to see St. Nick. I have an adorable picture of Rachel's first encounter with Santa and her expression is priceless. If I ever figure out how to post a picture, I'll put it on.
Even though I enjoyed my trip, I do feel like I missed out on the whole Thanksgiving tradition. That's pretty much the problem though, we have no tradition. Each year it varies and it never seems to be the same twice. My Aunt used to host it. She would do ALL the cooking and invite the whole extended family. There are alot of us. It was so great to see all my cousins and Aunts and Uncles - People that I think about often, but don't see or talk to nearly enough. Unfortunately, it did get to be too much for my Aunt and she stopped hosting it. No one picked up that ball. Maybe I should. Sometimes, I go to my brother's on the outer banks of NC. Sometimes I go to my in-laws, also on the Outer Banks. I've actually hosted it for my immediate family a few times. I like to cook and I enjoy having family around. Anyway, the girls weren't exposed to anything 'Thanksgiving' this year, except the turkey we ate at Cracker Barrel. Oh well, maybe next year.
Now all the hype will start for Christmas. I do plan on doing a better job with the Christmas experience for my girls...and I don't just mean presents. Wish me luck though. I'll need it.

1 comment:

Blogger profile name said...

I have really struggled with this, too. A lot of my family that we celebrated with have passed away in the past few years - my mother, grandmother, great-aunt. We are now the default hosts, mostly because our house is childproof and it's easier that way. There were four of us grandkids who grew up together. My sister is unmarried, has one child, and goes through wacky phases; she didn't come over this year. My two first cousins are unmarried without kids. It's just us, on our personal mission to repopulate the family!