Friday, November 10, 2006

High School Revisited

When I moved here in January, I didn't know anyone but the friend of a friend. I've seen her once in 11 months. Not long after getting here, I found out that a friend of mine from high school lived close by. I hadn't talked to or seen this guy in 20 years. Now, 370 miles from home, I find out he lives closer to me now, than he did in high school. He and I had been close friends and I am amazed at what a small world we really live in. A mutual friend tried to put us in touch and I called him in February, I think. I didn't hear anything back from him and I decided to leave the ball in his court. I knew he was married with children and I didn't know if his wife would be weird and all jealous and stuff. Well, just a few weeks ago, I looked for an email for him and found one. We planned to meet for lunch this week. We met at 11:30 and didn't leave until 3:30! What's amazing to me is how we can lose touch with friends and then when we see them again it's like no time has passed. I learned all about the grown up Stuart and his family. He learned about the grown up me and my family. We talked about things that had happened in high school, and where everyone is these days. It really is nice to have a shared past with someone. I could have talked for 4 more hours and I think he could have too. It was a really nice time and I'm so glad that I tried connecting with him again. We have made plans to get together with our families and I hope we will. I truly believe that all things happen for a reason, even though we don't always get to know why. I'm happy to know that I've got a high school buddy living just miles away...even if I don't ever see him again. But I hope that won't happen.

1 comment:

Blogger profile name said...

How cool! I thought I added you to my bloglines account, but apparently it didn't "take" - I just realized it so I'm back!