Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Playgroup


OK, this happened a few weeks ago, but I feel the need to share.

One of my neighbors invited us to join her playgroup. She's really sweet and has a little boy. (he's the only boy in the group). The playgroup is organized by a girl named Natalie. Her daughter is Emma Elise. Emma's report card will say "Doesn't play well with others". She's best friends with another little girl named Dallas. (I know) Dallas seems to be sweet enough. she's a follower. Those are the main characters. I really liked Natalie to start with, even though her kid is a brat. But now, I think she's a little clique-y. Rena has gotten her feelings hurt a couple of times because these 2 little girls are blatently excluding her. I decided that even though I was having a pretty good time, I couldn't continue to go if it wasn't working for Rena. Then, a couple of weeks ago, we were at Natalie's house for Halloween. I had offered to have it at my house, but Natalie had 'already told Emma we'll do it here'. OK. We were all supposed to bring something yummy to share. OK. We were supposed to dress the kids in their Halloween costumes and bring a change of clothes. OK. Now, Natalie's house has stairs that don't have a baby gate, so I have to constantly be on guard. The kids are constantly going up and down the steps to play both in Emma's room and in their little playroom. Well, I busted my ass to get there that morning. I dressed all three girls in their halloween costumes, plus shoes and accessories. I packed a change of clothes, diapers, wipes, snacks and lunch. I made, from scratch, a pumpkin cobbler - quite yummy if I do say so myself - and brought it, still warm from the oven. OK, maybe I was PMSing or something, but here's how it went. Oh yea, it was POURING DOWN! All three had fallen asleep on the way, so I decided to let them sleep for a couple of minutes and perhaps enjoy a little adult conversation. That didn't really work so well. Then Natalie said 'let's get some pictures, the kids are tired of being in their costume and are ready to change.' My girls are still in the car! OK, so I go wake them up, bring them in and when I get the last one in, and get my camera out, everyone dispurses. I kid you not. I didn't get one picture. Alright, I change them into their playclothes and off they go, in 3 different directions. When it comes time to eat, I practically have to beg people to try the cobbler. Then, one of the little girls named Sophia pushes Rachel down the steps. Luckily, I was standing right there and happened to catch Rachel by her ankles as her head hit the first step. This wasn't a little push. She said "you're going down" and punch/pushed her. Now, the little girl is only 3 and didn't really understand all of the consequences of that action. My heart was racing and I told her in no uncertain terms that she was to come with me. I went to her mother and told her what had just happen. Even though Rachel was Ok, everyone should have been coming to me and seeing if she was alright. But, what happened next? Sophia's mother started crying, apologized to me and said they had to leave as punishment for what had happened. OK. Except for the crying, that was the right thing to do. Natalie told her she should give her one more chance (To what?!!! Push Riley down the steps!!!) Needless to say, the attention got focused on Sophia and her mother and I even found myself trying to comfort them!!!!!! When I left, I apologized to Natalie (why the HELL am I apologizing? what is wrong with me) for Sophia having to leave. She tells me that because Sophia is so big people think she's older and treat her like she's older and really she's just a young 3. I didn't treat her like anything! Any normal mother would have snatched a knot in the little whiny shit and raised hell with the mother. Again, what is wrong with me?! I packed up my girls and questioned my participation in this group. Was I blowing everything out of proportion? I'm still not sure. Oh yea, I also asked if anyone would be willing to host a Pampered Chef party for me and they acted like they couldn't hear me. Lovely. Ironically, Rena's having fun now.

2 comments:

Gail said...

O.K. - I just found your comment on my blog and followed it over here ... you are definitely a woman after my own heart!

Hate those playgroups. Always a whiney kid, a pushy kid, a crabby mom and one that ignores her children but gets offended when other people correct them ... hate those playgroups!

Unfortunately, with girls (I have 2 - ages 15 and 10) - it only gets worse! Hmmm. O.K. up until about 4th or 5th grade, then there's a hormonal thing ...

Stay Tough!

Cynthia said...

Oh the joys of other people and their children...I am starting to think you just can't win. Why was the Mom being such a drama queen about it? Maybe I should just let my kiddos play alone...