Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Busy, busy weekend

Friday we spent the day at the museum of Life and Science in Durham. This is a really cool place. Here we are on the train. I'm not sure why Rachel is looking so afraid. She loves strangers and is sure to introduce herself to them as she runs for Mayor of the Butterfly house.
RayRay and Riley check out the butterflies welcoming us.
This is a flower in the butterfly house. They hang straight down and I thought it was really beautiful, especially the way the light was hitting it. It's my favorite picture from my trip.



This past weekend we went to Raleigh for a big event at the school where I used to teach. We made the most of the weekend and visited lots of places. We spent Friday at the Museum of Life and Science in Durham. The weather was beautiful and we had a great time. We saw bear, lemurs, red wolves, farm animal and butterflies. Even though we didn't get to stay long, the butterfly house was the biggest hit. It's full of tropical butterflies, plants and birds.
After we left the museum, we met up with Grandmom and Grandpop who had made a special trip to Raleigh just to see us and watch the girls Saturday night. 2 of my Aunts met us at Kanki for dinner. The girls were surrounded by people who loved them and wanted just one big hug. They didn't dissappoint.
Saturday, we (accidentally) went to Pullen Park. I tried to send Blair to a little playground while his mother and I shopped at NOFO at the pig (nofo.com). He didn't quite understand what I was asking him to do (entertain the kiddies for 30 minutes) so he ended up at the biggest(?) park in Raleigh. The girls loved it. They got to do the regular playground things and then they rode the carousel and the little boats and the train. That night Blair and I got to go to a coat and tie affair put on by the school. It's really a fund raiser, but it was also a celebration for the schools 50th anniversary. I had a blast. I got to see old classmates, parents and teachers that I had worked with. I had so much fun and the night ended way too soon. There were 450 people there and I didn't get to talk to everyone!
Sunday, my brother and his wife were in town. We had a short visit and lunch. It was nice to see them. After lunch we went to the schools Open House and then we all headed out to our old neighborhood. We spend most of the evening with my backdoor neighbors whom I REALLY miss. I did get to go meet the people who are living in my house. They were super nice and invited us in. It was so nice to be 'home'. We stayed there for about 30 minutes and then I got to get a cutting from one of my bushes. Hopefully it will root. Back to Sharon and Bob's and we all went out to dinner. We got back to the hotel late, but it was worth it.
Monday, we headed back to GA. :( There's more to the trip and I'll try to post more pictures, but it's bath time and I think I hear them calling.....

3 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Two quick things...

1. The butterfly house sounds amazing! I love the pic of the wall with all the butterflies on it!

2. I love Raleigh. My parents used to live there, and I always thought it was a beautiful, Southern city I could live in.

Anonymous said...

We miss you too! Taylor is still talking about the girls. We had a great evening. It was great to have the house full of little girls. You and Blair have been blessed with 3 wonderful angels.

Cynthia said...

I love the butterfly house!