Sunday, May 18, 2008

bittersweet endings


This week has been full of endings. It was the last week for the girls' preschool and also the last ballet class which culminated in a recital.

Thursday was the last day of preschool. I got the teachers' end of year gifts while we were in Raleigh, thank goodness. One thing checked off the list! The twins didn't have an end of year party (that I know about) but Rena's class did. Since I'm the roommom, I was in charge of organizing it. Never, in a million years, did I think I'd be roommom. But I did and it was fun. I painted sandpails with each child's name and we used those for their lunch. Their end of the year party consisted of eating, blowing bubbles and playing on the 'big kids' playground. Rena had a great class and a wonderful first experience in the classroom. I couldn't have asked for more. So that made it hard to leave. We'll be back at that school in the fall, but it was sad that the year was over. I know it's hard to believe, but I'm a complete mushpot when it comes to endings like this. I cried for weeks every time I thought about the last day. I avoided both teacher the whole time I was at school Thursday, but when it came time to say goodbye, Ms. Beth lost it and so did I. She won't be back next year, and I know that feeling. It also is a milestone, however small, in my childrens' lives. I love them so much and love the age they are at RIGHT NOW, no matter when that right now might be. Change is hard.



Rena started ballet in the middle of the season. It runs it's course on the school schedule. So Rena was late to the party, but she fit right in. Once a week, we have been going. Rena attends class and I hang out in the lobby with the other mothers, Rachel and Riley. Riley wants very badly to do ballet. Next year! But I've gotten to know these other mothers and have really enjoyed their company. In fact, this week we are all getting together for a playdate. Yeah. Hopefully it will go better than the last time we attemped a playgroup.

Anyway, we had the dress rehearsal Friday. Rena stood on stage and looked like she was wondering when the party was going to start. I had already seen another rehearsal during parents day. On that day, Rena also seemed to just watch the activity and would occasionally spin or plie. So, I really wasn't holding out much hope for the actual recital itself. I was sure that with all the strange people in the audience, we'd get nothing from her. Wrong! She was right on cue. Danced the whole time. Never missed a beat. It was great! We got no pictures of the actual recital! So sad. But it will live on (and get better) in my memory.




2 comments:

Cynthia said...

How wonderful!

ginny said...

I know what you mean about the end of a preschool year. My oldest daughter just finished preschool for the last time on Friday. She'll start kindergarten in August and that makes me so sad!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. We aren't from Raleigh, just lived there for about 4 years. We're from Texas and moved back about 7 months ago, but really miss Raleigh.