Friday, November 14, 2008

God Bless America

I tend to have a pretty tough exterior. It's not necessarily and act, there just isn't alot that gets to me. I can see both side of most situations and I tend to not be that emotional. I run on an even keel.

HOWEVER, my achilles heel is when I hear children sing. I don't know why, but get a group of kindergarteners together singing the ABC's and I become and emotional basket case. And I taught Kindergarten for YEARS. (Sidenote: I can't read the Polar Express without crying either and I usually had to have my assistant finish reading it everytime I read it to my class. One year she was busy and didn't realize I was circling the drain. I did finish reading it, but I was a mess. It was awful!) Anyway, I was mopping the kitchen this morning and the girls were sitting on the back of the couch watching me. What? You didn't know that mopping is a spectator sport. So Rena starts singing God Bless America. I didn't even know that she knew this song, but she didn't miss a word or a note. Her sweet little sincere voice got to me. I had to turn my back to them so they wouldn't see me. And when she finished she said..."Mommy, did you like my song?" Bwahaha. I was bawling! Beautiful.

2 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

There's a commercial I keep seeing and it features a beautiful little Asian-American girl singing "Oh Beautiful for Spacious skies" and I've cried every. single. time I've seen it this week.

So yeah, ME TOO!

I think it's okay though...just means our hearts are touched by beauty.

Halfmoon Girl said...

awww, how sweet. I can totally relate. I cry at school Christmas concerts, especially when my kids are performing.