Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Mommy, don't you argue me!

That is what Rachel has been telling me lately. In her best Mommy voice. And no, I didn't accidently leave a word out. That's how she says it. Just like Riley asks for a peanut butter and sandwich. God, they crack me up.
This morning on the way to preschool, Rena was trying to get her sisters to say her name the right way. I know it was rather cruel to give my children names that start with R and they can't really be expected to pronounce it correctly until they're about 6, but what's a mother to do? Rachel pronounces it 'Wena' and Riley say either 'Glena or Lena'. So the conversation on Rena's part went something like this. "Wiley, say Wena, not Lena. With an Awwr. Wena. Twy again. Wena." Oh, how I wish I had a recording of that.
This day got off to a rough start. It's a good thing I'm adaptable. And that I showered last night after tennis practice. First off, I'd like you to meet my new best friend.

That's right. My new carpet steam cleaner. He's getting lots of use already. Yesterday, as I mentioned, while the girls were in school I cleaned my bedroom and the hall. Last night, one of the dogs threw up in the hall. For no apparent reason. Then, this morning, poor Max didn't make it, again. Started peeing in the bedroom, down the steps, well, you get the idea. Poor guy. Luckily, Stanley the Steam cleaner was still plugged in! Problem solved.
Of course, I'd like to wake up a little slower than that. My eyes weren't even really open as I cleaned the floor. Next task was to get Rena bathed before my neighbor came to pick her up for school. While Rena was in the tub, my neighbor called and said her son was sick and they weren't going to school. Crap. It's only a half day today, which in preschool, means a 2 hour day. Since it takes me almost half an hour to get to school, there no sense in coming home. So, I had 45 minutes to get not 1 but 3 kids ready and out the door. Kinda stressful. I must say a big Thank You to my hubby who made coffee for me!
I dropped Rena off, took the little girls to IHOP for breakfast. They played. I ate. Way too expensive. Off to Home Depot, no, not here, Lowe's to find a hanging clothes weekly organizer. Hopefully this will quell some of the clothing battles I've been having with Riley. The outfit will have to be approved and stored the day before, so come morning time we can just get dressed in our PRETTY outfit with our PRETTY shoes. This kid's killing me.!
Back to pick up Rena and home. Then they wanted to finger paint. It was almost 12:30 before things settled down. I'm sure I don't even want to see the aftermath of the painting. It might be time to go back to bed and try to start over on a smoother day!

5 comments:

rachel... said...

Sounds and looks oh so familiar!!

I love the conversation about pronouncing the Rs! You'll be so glad you blogged about that when the girls are older!!!

Aliceson said...

I am drooling over your new steamer!

My kids love to paint so much that I bought one of those large vinyl tablecloths and throw that down to catch all of the creativity (paint mess) that doesn't make it to the paper/ canvas. Makes clean-up a breeze.

Carpool Queen said...

You're brave. Fingerpainting was always an outside game wearing our swimsuits so that I could hose them off afterwards.

Keep the steamer handy!

Cynthia said...

I am sorry, I just fell in love with your vacuum cleaner...I could so make good use of that!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

OMG...finger painting? No wonder you have a steam cleaner. I can't remember the last time I said yes to finger paints, friend. ;)