Friday, March 20, 2009

Rockin' the spending freeze

The girls were in preschool for only 2 hours yesterday and I had alot of errands to run. And no money to spend. My panic induced spending freeze really paid off yesterday.

First, I dropped the girls off at preschool and headed to the bank where I cashed in rolled change. $80.00.

Next, I headed to Hallmark to get a card for hubby's birthday next week. I had a $4.00 gift rebate and the card cost $4.27. Whoo hoo.

Next, I headed to Belk. I had about $11.00 on a very old gift card and Rena really needs some spring clothes. I bought her 2 mix and match outfits. Original price - $77.00. On sale for 30% off. Opened a Belks credit card for 20% and 15% more off (note to salesclerk: a 20% discount then a 15% discount does not add up to a 35% discount. That's not the way it works) Final cost to me - $23.00. Whoo hoo!

Passed by the county 'free' woodchips pile. (I don't know why they put quotes around free. They really are free.) Fresh pile! I go hook up my trailor, discover that my garden fork broke the last time I got mulch. Stop by Home Depot and use my 'free' gift card to purchase new garden fork. Load trailor with free mulch. Whooooo hooooo!

So, I got a birthday card, a pair of cropped pants, a skirt, 2 shirts, a garden fork (and it wasn't cheap) and a trailor for of mulch all for $23.27. Whoooo hooooo!

Oh, oh! And the tax accountant called and says she thinks we'll be getting a refund!

The recession can kiss my ass!

3 comments:

rachel... said...

Woo hoo! I love a cheap day of shopping and I love FREE even better! (Although I would have saved $4 on hubby's card and had the kids make him one instead!)

Oh, I wish we had someplace with free mulch around here! That's awesome!

Aliceson said...

Fantastic deals! I used to get free mulch but the quality was so poor that I have started paying for it again. And pitch forks are pricey, the last one I bought was around $40.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

You ARE rockin'!

Great deals, girl.