Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Never Ending



It's been raining here for day, as it has been in much of the south. While I really am happy that we are getting rain, and Lake Lanier is filling up, I'm really hating my backyard in a big way.
Believe it or not, this is the sodded part of the backyard. Our builder told us we don't have a drainage problem. asshole.
Here's the problem. My backyard is divided into 2 parts: kids' yard, dogs' yard. The kids yard is sodded, the dogs yard is not. As you may have noticed, I hate my builder and blame most things on him. The fact that we have NO grass in the dogs yard is his fault. If it weren't for the sod, we wouldn't have grass in the kids yard either. Now, at the height of the drought, this didn't cause any problems. But because I don't want wet muddy dogs in the house, I let the dogs go into the kids yard when it rains. And they poop there. Alot. And the only real way for that to get 'cleaned up' is to pick up the poop and let the rain wash away the rest. But when it's raining, the dogs are in that yard...pooping. See the vicious cycle? This time around the dogs have access to the whole yard. So they are sopping wet and muddy. And when they come in, they come into the kitchen, which is now sopping wet and muddy. There's no other place for them to go. And I hate it.
The dogs are already on my shit-list. At least Jake is. Here's that story. Sunday, I went upstairs to do some laundry (never ending). When I headed down the hall to put clothes away for Rena, I discovered a big pile of poop. Great. I hadn't noticed it earlier because Rena doesn't actually sleep in her bedroom. Her bed got moved to the twins room, so the only reason to go to her room is for clothes. When I walked into her room, I discovered another pile of poop! CRAP! That pile had been there since Saturday. Gross! So, as I'm finishing the laundry, Rena comes and asks me why I'm not cleaning it up! Well, 'cause I'm finishing the laundry! Then I drag the vacuum cleaner upstairs and go back for my new friend the carpet steam clean, which has already paid for itself! I clean up just the spot in the hall since I'd already cleaned the whole hall last week. Then I picked up all the toys in Rena's room, vacuumed and steam clean that whole room. As I'm backing out of that room, Rena comes and tells me that Jake just peed under the dining room table. WHAT! Damn dog! At least the steam cleaner was still plugged in. So I drag it back downstairs and clean up the dining room. So it feels like all I did was clean up pee and poop all day Sunday. That and pick up those infernal beads.
Then on Monday, just when I might just get a step ahead, Riley helped me unload groceries. She dropped a glass jar of salsa in the driveway, which broke into a million piece IN a puddle of water. (God forbid the builder know how to make water drain away from a house) Do you know how impossible it is to see shards of glass in a puddle of water? Well, it is.
It's been kinda tense around here. I'm in serious need of a vacation. A little 'me' time that isn't interrupted by anyone or anythings bathroom habits. Some quiet, still time.

3 comments:

Aliceson said...

Oh my, that standing water is terrible! It's been muddy here too, not as bad as yours but enough that I feel like I'm scrubbing the floor everyday.

We make our dogs dry off in the garage before they are allowed to come in during muddy weather. Is that an option for you, or did the builder screw that up too? I'm always surprised at what a builder/realtor will tell someone to close a deal. Reminds me of used car salesmen.

Cynthia said...

OMG...I saw that picture and couldn't believe that was your backyard. Since most folks in the city don't have backyards, I have no idea what you do about it? I hope things dry out for you:)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Good grief, that's a TON of water...

And I totally hear you on the dog-hate. I'm not lovin' our dog these days.