Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Laundry Hell

How did they do it? How did our Grandparent, great-Grandparent, etc. do it. I have a XL capacity washing machine and I NEVER get all the laundry done. Never. If it appears that I might actually be close to having ALL of the laundry done, someone will pee in a bed, or throw up, thus creating at least 2 more loads. Maybe the secret is to not have as many clothes. 2 outfits for everyone. One to wear and one to clean. That would sure cut down on the laundry situation, wouldn't it? We could also practice wearing the outfit we are in for more than 2 hours at a time. That would help.



But seriously, can you imagine having to do laundry the 'old-fashioned' way? No way. I do love hanging clothes on a clothesline. I can't have one here, in HOA hell, but in my old house, I loved the clothes line. The great thing was I didn't have to use it. But I love being outside and I hate doing laundry, so it made it a little easier. Plus, seriously, they dried faster.



In raising my girls, I've thought about my Granny alot. She had 7 children. No indoor plumbing. No Pampers. No Gerbers. No Babies-R-Us. No formula. What a woman!

2 comments:

carrie said...

It is amazing to think how people managed back in the day. Even though I'm sure they had fewer clothes, it was still alot of work! And they also didn't run around to cub scouts and dance lessons all week long either.

But still. I like my appliances.

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for checking out my blog. I think you might also find the link to household tips on the bottom of my page very helpful (flylady.net).
You know what the trick is really, and I don't even do it - it's to wear things a few times. Even when I was a kid, I came home from school and changed into play clothes, then wore the SAME outfit to school for the week. I was teased so I just can't pull myself to do the same with my own children, and in this society it's ODD to re-wear things. Not to mention how children manage to get dirty no matter what you do . . . But really, if we could find a way to rotate what we wear (and re-wear) we could conserve money, reduce greenhouse gasses, lessen the over consumption of water, etc. Maybe wear some things twice if they're not visibly dirty or smelly/sweaty, just changing undies and such! Anyway, this is cool, I think I'll post this reply on my blog as well!

Brandy