Saturday, January 03, 2015

It's a date!

So, I misinformed yesterday.  I didn't do nothing for the move yesterday.  Last night, I pulled up the school calendars for Howard County and Anne Arundel county.  And  Queen Anne's county.  (Kent Island!!!)  That way I could sync them with Forsyth's schedule to see when would be a good time to head north and check out schools.

We went up to MD this fall and Rena and I got to go into a middle school.  Mostly because I'm not afraid of rejection.  In this era of paranoia, I still went and rang the bell of the Middle School.  "Um, we are thinking of moving here and I just had a couple of vague questions I thought I could come into strange school at the end of the day and ask.  With my soon-to-be Middle Schooler in tow."  Buzzzzzzz.  What was I hoping to accomplish?  I'm not firm on the details.  A glimpse into the future, I guess.  Do your middle schoolers carry guns, knives, drugs, STD's?  Or are they smart, driven, awkward, innocents?  I suppose seeing one of them trip over her own feet walking to her mother's car answered at least one of those questions for me!  And Rena fell in LOVE with that school in the 10 minutes we were there.  Thank God.  And the office staff was nice to me.

It's hard enough to think about changing schools.   But to think about entering Middle School!  Whoa!  I didn't even need to have a for sale sign in my yard for that one to be a biggie.  We'll navigate it together, I guess.

And of course, I google-mapped, realtor.commed, and zillowed.  This time, Kent Island.  Which I hadn't really thought of before.  My brother lives in this really cool neighborhood in NC, quietly tucked away next to a million dollar neighborhood.  His family and friends meet up on 'the island' on Sundays, among other days.  Hang out.  Enjoy the Salt Life.  Where they are is a well kept secret.  I'm not telling.  And it's one of my favorite places in the world to be.  It has salt water, a current, and a sandy beach.  Except for a boat and a cooler of beer, you don't need anything else.  Part of me is seeking 'that'.  Maybe on Kent Island.


The search continues.

No comments: