Saturday, November 03, 2007

Water Woes

Ah the irony. In case you don’t know, N. Georgia is in the middle of a 100 year drought. It’s all the talk down here and evidently across the southeast, if not the whole county. Those California wildfires may have stolen the spotlight for now, but it will be back on us soon. One of the big reasons is because our Guv’nr is fighting with Alabama’s Guv’nr and Florida’s Guv’nr over the release of water from Lake Lanier. Now, I’ve got no problem with letting the two states have their fair share, but check the weather channel people! We haven’t gotten any rain to share. And it’s not like water can flow uphill, so if the situation was reversed, they wouldn’t be helping us out either. Now, as far as I’m concerned, all the stupid people have had to wait for the government to tell them when and how much water they can use. They call these ‘water restrictions’. Seriously people, you don’t even need the weather channel for this one. Step outside. No rain. Where do you think the water you use comes from? And the HOA’s have made the situation worse by requiring people’s lawns to be green. (I’m not making it up!)

So here at my house, in a underwhelming effort to counter-act the single biggest water wasters on the planet (Riley and especially Rachel) I have been catching rainwater from my downspouts to water my plants. (What’s that? Applause for the environmentalist in me? Thank you, thank you very much!) Now the irony…I haven’t planted anything that needs to be watered anymore. So I just have a 10 gallon trashcan full of dirty water sitting on my back porch. Maybe I’ll can sell it to Florida!

No comments: